Personal protective equipment



If I have a safety question or concern but I do not know the right person to contact in the safety department, what should I do?

Employees can contact the Facilities Management Occupational Health and Safety Department (FM-OHS) by calling the main number (434) 297-6379 or sending an email to

Who should I contact for general information or questions in the Facilities Management-OHS office?

For general information and questions, please call the FM-OHS main line at (434) 297-6379, or send an email to As always, if you see or have an emergency, please call 911 immediately.

Isn’t safety FM-OHS’ job?

Safety is the responsibility of every individual. FM-OHS is not responsible for your safety, but is here as a resource to give you all the tools that you need to work safely.

Why are FM-OHS rules different than what we think OSHA says?

Facilities Management’s health and safety programs are developed from a variety of resources, and employ the best practices that are available. OSHA regulations represent the minimum standards required by the law, but not always the most current, or best practices available. We believe that our workers deserve the safest possible work environment, and will always afford the best protection available.

Can FM-OHS get me fired?

It is important to understand that FM-OHS has no authority to discipline employees. Our role is to inform, train, observe, and to investigate, but not to police. If you break a safety rule, we may be asked to investigate, or to supply information, but no disciplinary action comes from our office.

If there is more than one person in a Facilities Management vehicle and no one gets out to spot the vehicle in reverse, is the driver the only one that could get disciplined?

It is the driver’s responsibility to instruct the other employees in the vehicle to spot, but discipline could be given to all in the vehicle.

If I am taking medication that might make me drowsy should I let someone at work know?

Yes, inform your supervisor. They do not need to know why you are taking the medication, but they may need to change your job task while you are taking the medication.

Is it alright for contractors or other non-UVA personnel to use our equipment such as an aerial lift, scissor lift, etc.?

No. Due to liability reasons as well as safety reasons, contractors have to supply their own equipment. Learn more about risk management by visiting UVA’s Office of Property & Liability Risk Management website.

Injury related

Where can I find the accident report form (Worker’s Compensation Packet)?

Worker’s Compensation & Accident Report Form »
The accident report form (also known as Worker’s Compensation Packet) is maintained by Facilities Management Human Resources & Training.

If I am injured on the job, do I have to report it even if I don’t want to go to the doctor?

Yes, Facilities Management requires employees that are injured while working to report the injury to their supervisor on the day of injury. The supervisor can assist the injured employee with filling out the proper forms found in the Worker’s Compensation Packet. Injured employees have the right to decline medical services but can change their mind. However, the employee must report the injury and complete the paperwork.

Where can I find the vehicle accident report form (Auto Loss Notice Form)?

Personal protective equipment (PPE)

What if I need prescription safety glasses/eye protection?

First, you should have a current prescription (within 12 months) from your eye doctor. Next, obtain approval from your supervisor and see Jessie McGann, Program Support Tech, in the FM Materials Division building. Bring your prescription, along with your org and shop number to Jessie, and she will issue a voucher/credit slip which can be redeemed at Keller and George Optical or Visionworks.

If I have a condition that prohibits my wearing PPE can I get an exemption?

There is no exemption from wearing PPE that is deemed necessary for a job task. PPE is the last line of defense between the worker and a known hazard, and the failure to utilize PPE would represent an unacceptable exposure to that hazard. If a situation arises that prohibits you from wearing required PPE, please notify your supervisor and contact HR&T immediately.

Can I bring personal protective equipment from home if I don’t like what my supervisor gave me to use?

No, Facilities Management is responsible for providing your personal protective equipment (PPE). If you cannot use what was given to you, let your supervisor know and other brands will be tried.

Who is eligible for safety shoes and how often is an employee eligible?

Most UVA Facilities Management employees who work in the field and across Grounds are likely eligible for safety shoes due. Employees are typically eligible on an annual basis. However, there may be different guidelines based on different responsibilities and different types of shoes. Always check with your supervisor first or email for eligibility.

What do I need to do to receive safety shoes and where do I go to get them?

All employees will be issued shoe vouchers as their shoe anniversary approaches. The vouchers are issued to supervisors for distribution to employees. Once you have received a shoe voucher, you can visit the Red Wing shoe truck that is on-site twice a month.
Red Wing Shoe Program information »
View the Red Wing shoe truck schedule »

How do I know if I’m due for new safety shoes?

Your supervisor will automatically receive your voucher the month of your shoe anniversary. If you do not receive a voucher, email The administrative coordinator will verify eligibility and respond to you with instructions on how to move forward.

Where can I wear my UVA-issued safety shoes?

UVA-issued safety shoes, as with most UVA-issued materials, are to be worn only during work hours and to perform work related duties. UVA-issued safety shoes are not to be worn for personal use.

If I am due for new safety shoes, how do I request a shoe voucher?

A shoe voucher can be requested by your supervisor. Please email Once the email request is received, eligibility will be verified and the voucher will be issued. All vouchers will be sent to the employee’s supervisor for distribution.

Is there a deadline to request a shoe voucher?

Yes, shoe vouchers must be requested the week prior to the shoe truck visit. Requests made on the Monday or Tuesday (day before and day of) the shoe truck visit will not be processed until the next shoe truck visit, which is two weeks later. Unfortunately, last minute requests cannot be accommodated.

Where do I take a shoe voucher?

UVA’s main safety shoe provider is Red Wing Shoes, and vouchers can be taken to the on-site Red Wing shoe truck during the designated times (see schedule).

Can I stop by the Red Wing shoe truck if I don’t have a voucher?

No, you must have a voucher and a valid UVA ID badge.

Does the Red Wing shoe truck carry a large inventory of safety shoes?

Yes, the Red Wing shoe truck has a large inventory of different types and styles of shoes to accommodate all of UVA’s employee needs and various working environments.

Is there a set allowance for safety shoes? What if the shoes I desire are more than the designated allowance?

Yes, there is a set allowance for safety shoes. If you desire a shoe that costs more than the allowance, you are responsible for paying the difference. Accessories are not part of the shoe allowance.

What if I have a special circumstance or special shoe requirement?

Red Wing shoes are able to accommodate all types of needs and special circumstances. The Red Wing shoe truck attendant is highly knowledgeable and skilled in providing the proper fit or special requirements to all Facilities Management employees.

What if my shoes are worn out, damaged or unsafe, but I am not eligible for shoes yet? How do I go about handling this?

First, visit the Red Wing shoe truck during a scheduled time and let the attendant assess your shoes. There may be an option for repair. There are many instances when an employee’s shoes wear out due to work requirements prior to their eligibility date. Contact your supervisor and determine your needs, then have your supervisor email FM-OHS with the specific reason to request a voucher. As always, you cannot visit the Red Wing shoe truck to replace shoes without a voucher.

Is the Red Wing shoe truck able to assist with routine maintenance and repairs of shoes?

The Red Wing shoe truck is able to assist with routine maintenance and repairs on-site. In some cases, repairs may require something to be ordered, or even the shoe to be serviced beyond the truck’s repair capabilities at a remote location. Red Wing offers free monthly maintenance, and everyone should take advantage of this perk. This will help maintain your foot’s comfort, and the quality and integrity of your safety shoes.

What if I miss both dates that the Red Wing truck will be here? Can I use the voucher the next month?

No, the voucher is only good for 30 days. Once the voucher has expired, your supervisor will need to contact FM-OHS to have a new voucher issued.


Does UVA Facilities Management-OHS offer health and safety training classes for employees?

Yes, training classes are offered on a routine basis. Please visit the training section for a list of available classes. Some examples are Arc Flash, Forklift, OSHA 30, Confined Space and Fall Protection. Contact FM-OHS for more information.

What if the class I need/want isn’t on the schedule?

If you have a training request, please submit your request via the Training Course Request form.

I want to take a training class. Who do I talk to?

Your first stop should be your supervisor, to determine if the training is required for your job, or if not, if they otherwise approve of your attending. Visit the FM-OHS training webpage, which lists all of the upcoming training courses that are scheduled, choose the course and the date, and then contact FM-OHS to be registered. If you have a need for a training that is not listed, fill out the Training Request Form and submit it to Someone will contact you.

When is New Employee Safety Training and am I required to attend?

New Employee Safety Training is scheduled the first Tuesday of every pay period and begins promptly at 7:30 a.m. New Facilities Management employees, including temporary workers are required to attend. Employees can bring a snack and beverage. Also, employees that receive a promotion to a supervisory role are required to attend. Notices are emailed to employees’ supervisor from Facilities Management Human Resources & Training as notification and includes the training date and training location/meeting room.