Methods of disposal
Note: Offsite locations may be exempt from using specific contracted vendors and must work with Facilities Management to seek proper solutions.
Methods that do not fall under the oversight of surplus property
- For UVA College at Wise, please visit the college’s website for information about UVA College at Wise’s surplus property disposal process.
- To transfer between UVA departments, please visit Information Security and Fixed Assets Accounting websites for proper procedures.
- To transfer property to a non-Commonwealth of Virginia agency, see faculty departure checklist for further instructions.
- Radioactive or hazardous materials must be disposed of by Environmental Health and Safety.
- For IT equipment (computers or any equipment that sorts data) purchased with Health System funds, please visit Health Information & Technology Equipment Surplus for disposal instructions.
- Small office equipment and reusable office supplies will be picked up by Facilities Management Recycling as part of the ROSE Program at no cost to departments. These items include, but are not limited to:
- tape dispensers
- paper clip holders
- pencil sharpeners
- desk lamps
- UVA Recycling handles all surplus light bulbs, including florescent.
- Housing and Residence Life handles the disposal of dormitory furniture.
- Medical Equipment Recovery of Clean Inventory (M.E.R.C.I. recycling program), accepts unused supplies and small equipment and makes them available to the UVA community. If you are closing a lab, consider sending your unused items to M.E.R.C.I.