Surplus property procedures
- Special considerations for certain types of property
- Computer/electronic surplus property
- Furniture surplus property
- General surplus property
Special considerations for certain types of property
- It is the department's responsibility to confirm that any Equipment Trust Fund (ETF) asset going through the surplus property process is eligible for sale. Surplus property takes no responsibility in this matter.
- Policy PRM-016: Surplus Property Disposal must be followed when releasing UVA Capital Equipment (Fixed Assets) to another institution outside the Commonwealth.
The following links below provide additional information:
- Electronic Data Removal Procedures
- Faculty Departure Checklist
- UVA staff off-boarding procedures
- Fixed assets accounting
- UVA Health System computer equipment surplus
- Offsite locations may be exempt from using specific contracted vendors and must work with Facilities Management to seek proper solutions in the spirit of the policy.
- For further guidance, please see the Surplus Property Disposal policy.
Computer/electronic surplus property
All computer/electronic surplus property must be disposed of through the University's contract vendor, eCycleSecure, by submitting a request through the UVA ReUSE Store Surplus Request application to allow eCycleSecure to dispose of the property. These items must be disposed of immediately - do not hold items indefinitely and delay the start of the surplus process. If you would like to use another method to transfer or dispose of computer/electronic surplus, you must contact UVA Information Security for approval.
The following items MUST be considered as "computer/electronic surplus" regardless of working condition:
- Cash registers
- Desktop computers
- Digital cameras
- EKG machines
- Fax machines
- Mobile devices (including cell phones, PDAs, Blackberry, tablets, smart phones, etc.)
- LCD (flat screen) monitors
- Media — magnetics (hard drives, tapes, etc.)
- Peripherals (keyboards, mice, docking stations, speakers, etc.)
- CRT monitors
- Audio/video equipment
- Any item that may contain data, or any item that has a keyboard
Procedures for disposal of computer/electronic surplus property
- Departments must follow all guidance from Information Security on removal/destruction of data/devices prior to disposal. See UVA’s Electronic Data Removal Procedures.
- All items must be maintained in a secure location until picked up by eCycleSecure (for example, in a locked closet, office or drawer) and should never be left unattended in a public area. All electronic surplus items must be controlled and segregated from current stock. The department must maintain custody of the item until it is picked up by the vendor.
- Items for disposal must be clearly labeled as "Surplus."
- The eCycleSecure driver is required to pick up ONLY the items submitted on the surplus property form referenced on their Bill of Lading.
- eCycleSecure is responsible for the packing and loading of all items. They will verify quantities by equipment type on site and a detail review by serial number once they return to their warehouse.
- Verify the surplus property form number and quantities printed on the Bill of Lading with the form submitted to Surplus Property, print your name and phone number on the Bill of Lading, and sign and date it. The copy represents a certificate of disposal that states University data is destroyed. Someone in the department must retain the Bill of Lading per the University records management standards.
- eCycleSecure takes responsibility for items after they are placed in their vehicle. Therefore, someone from the department must stay with eCycleSecure during the loading process, and witness the placement of items in their vehicle. The pick-up vehicle must be locked when unsupervised. Please notify Surplus Property at email@example.com of any violation of this security procedure.
- If pickups cannot be completed on a scheduled date, eCycleSecure will reschedule. eCycleSecure will send an email stating when they will pick up the items. PLEASE DO NOT RESUBMIT the same items for surplus. This will create duplicate batches. Contact eCycleSecure at 704-376-1116.
Furniture surplus property
If the surplus property is furniture, all items must be disposed through Facilities Management. The only exception is dormitory furniture - which Housing and Residence Life handles. Facilities Management transports the items to a central warehouse. There will be a handling cost associated with pickup or delivery.
Procedures for disposal of furniture surplus property
- Please fill out a request through the UVA ReUSE Store Surplus Request application. Facilities Management will respond within 24-48 hours to clarify your request and schedule pickup.
- To protect University records, desks and filing cabinets can only be picked up by the Facilities Management if unlocked and empty.
General surplus property
General surplus property is all other items not previously identified as computer/electronic or furniture. General surplus property can be disposed of through Facilities Management's ReUSE Store or donation via the surplus forms. General surplus property can be donated to a public agency, or institution of higher education.
Procedures for disposal of general surplus property
Through a University contractor or Entrusted Auctions:
- Submit a request through the UVA ReUSE Store Surplus Request application.
- All pick-ups will be coordinated by the ReUSE Store staff
- Items for disposal must be clearly labeled as "Surplus."
- To donate items, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Detailed list of the item(s) to donate
- Name and contact information of organization to donate to
- Approved 501c3 IRS determination letter must be provided
- Departments are responsible for coordinating the pickup/delivery of donated items.