Facilities Management seeks to further develop our leadership in environmental stewardship for the university with sustainability embedded as a core value in our practices, our daily operations, and the actions of our individual staff. We strive to be an extraordinary example of a community within UVA working as a unified team toward achieving the sustainability goals of the University, and have formed the Sustainability Council to guide us. This council will serve an integral role in shaping the practices and understanding of sustainability throughout our organization and in connecting with the larger sustainability community at UVA and the Charlottesville region.
Our newest initiative – Facilities Management Sustainability Champions Recognition Program.
Inspire the Facilities Management community to commit to sustainability through active stewardship, engagement and discovery.
- FM-Office for Sustainability, Lela Gardner
- FM-Office for Sustainability, Dana Schroeder
- FM-Occupational Programs, Bobby Glenn
- FM-Mechanical Trades (Electric, Plumbing, Sheet Metal), Tom Castellanos
- FM-Construction & Renovation Services - Acad Constr Mgmt, Jim Keller
- FM-Utilities, Cameron Ratliff
- FM-West Grounds Zone, Josh Humphreys
- FM-Specialty Trades (General Services, Sign Shop), Avery Wood
- FM-Programs & Informatics, Mike Duffy
- FM-Building Svcs, Tiffany Taylor
- FM-Landscape, Kevin Beal
- FM-CC&R Academic, Amy Eichenberger
- FM-Admin, Adam Gragg
- FM-Maintenance Management, Mike Payne
- FM-Operations Management, Cheryl Gomez
- FM-HS Directors Staff, Vinnie Vawter
- FM-Health Sys PP Zone 3, Doug Rush
- Rotating, Benjamin Melugin
- FM-North Grounds Zone, Mike Jessee
- FM-CC&R Health System, John Marshall
- The council will be led by two chairs from different departments. There will be 12-15 members with representation from all departments. The ex-officio will be an employee in the Office for Sustainability.
- At a minimum, the council will meet once per month for one hour. Each year, a work plan will be developed and implemented by the council. The initial work plan will include a strategy for Green Workplace certification for Facilities Management. An annual report to the Facilities Management chief facilities officer and directors will assess the work plan progress and will set recommendations for the following year’s work plan.
- Every year, half of the membership and one co-chair will be replaced with new members and a new co-chair who will serve a two-year term.
- Build individuals’ sustainability awareness and interest in taking action
- Advance sustainability within Facilities Management’s workplace operations and practices
- Explore ways of further integrating sustainability into Facilities Management’s departments and programs
- Provide regular communication on key sustainability topics, on various levels and via various avenues
2018 work plan
- Continue to implement UVA's Green Workplace program across Facilities Management workplaces
- Continue to educate and inspire employees across all FM units through sustainability-related events, trainings, tours, demos, and conversations hosted by each member of the Sustainability Council with their own department, unit, or team
- Coordinate content and distribution of monthly Core Topics Updates
- Recognize Sustainability Champions across FM who have demonstrated a strong commitment to sustainability through their actions on Grounds and in our community
- Zero waste departmental events – ice cream social, BBQ, etc.
- Monthly sustainability column in the Facilities Management newsletter
- Annual report to Facilities Management