Accident Reporting Process
Immediately call 911 and ensure there are no injuries. If off-Grounds but in-state, request for Virginia State Police to respond. Remain on scene!
Call your supervisor
Notify your direct supervisor of what happened, where it happened and whether anyone is hurt.
Record the names and phone numbers of witnesses, officers, the other driver, as well as their insurance and vehicle details
Do not make statements to anyone other than the police or UVA representatives.
Complete Auto Loss Notice
Ask the responding officer if the vehicle is safe to drive
- Photograph damage, scene of the accident, and collect other driver's information.
- Deliver vehicle to Fleet office.
- Fleet will take to vendors for estimates.
- Contact the Fleet Office for guidance: (434) 982-5812.
Auto Loss Notice
Download the Auto Loss Notice form from Risk Management's website.
The Auto Loss Notice (ALN) needs to be submitted to the Office of Risk Management within 24 hours of the accident
Steps for completing the ALN
- Collect all documentation and photos you gathered from the scene of the accident.
- Fill out the Auto Loss Notice as completely as possible and submit to ORM-FRM@virginia.edu along with all other collected information within 24 hours of the accident.
(The Fleet office is available to guide you through completing the ALN should you need assistance)
- Risk Management approves estimate. Fleet staff deliver vehicle to body shop.
- Vendor completes repairs.
- Fleet staff picks vehicle up from body shop and verifies repairs are completed.
- Fleet returns vehicle to end user.
- Fleet Office: completes payment/billing.
- Risk Management: closes claim.
- End user: reviews ARC recommendations with Risk Management and supervisor.