Built in 1952, New Cabell Hall is the workhorse of the College of Arts and Sciences
with 50 classrooms and 390 faculty offices. The six story, 150,000 gsf brick builing
is being completely modernized with new heating, plumbing and electrical systems,
as well as the introduction of air conditioning and fire suppression systems.
Handicapped accessibility to the building will be improved, elevator cabs will be
replaced, hazardous materials will be abated, and telephone and data distribution
systems will be replaced. Additionally, interior finishes are to be replaced
and upgraded, including walls, floors and ceilings. A new lighting system will
also be installed.
Classrooms in this historic building will receive state of the art teaching aids
equal to that installed in the new South Lawn buildings. On the exterior,
the enclosed courtyard between New and Old Cabell Halls will be landscaped
and directly connected to the surrounding buildings to enhance and encourage
usage. On the primary south elevation, a significant, accessible connection
with the new South Lawn plaza will be constructed.
Following complete modernization of New Cabell Hall, the mission of teaching
and departmental quarters will continue and the general layout and mix of
classroom space in the building will not significantly change.
The project is expected to take about four years because because major parts of the
building will need to remain open during construction.